December 16, 2008

Not all emails accounts opened are used

Almost everyone who is exposed to internet have multiple email accounts. Some have as many as fifty and some more than that. But it is a common fact that only one of those emails are used. The others gradually fades away. But almost all the email services claim they have x million users or y million accounts. Now you know what those accounts are there for.

I am updating my entry posted below. This is in response by someone named Rishi (presumably a Network 18 employee) which reads :

Before you go about talking about in.com screwing people I suggest you examine the cause for the invites going out or at least using the least of your journalistic ethics to call network18 or web18 for a clarification , Its shoddy reporting like this that gives true blogs a bad name. There is an invite all imported contacts to in.com radio button next to the import tab that you had selected, its the same type of button you have on linked in , facebook or orkut... I would not even justify your rant about us being a crap service user feedback on our site is incredible... I bet you were paid by a competitor”

Very interesting to read that I was paid by a competitor! Ah, I hope it comes true. I can then make millions in such a business model. It is one of the fantastic revenue models where you are most likely to get a good response from even private equity.

Secondly, let me clarify here that blogs are not news portals, my dear friend. They are basically diaries but put in public domain. And secondly why should I contact this email service for any clarifications if at all I need to whom should I contact? I should have done this if this was a journalistic piece. This is an opinion my dear which is absolutely confined to myself.

You state that “I would not even justify your rant about us being a crap service user feedback on our site is incredible”. Who am I to disagree? Did I say you don’t have user base or people just don’t come to your service? For me it is a crap and that’s it. For some gmail may be a crap and for some other services. But your claim of copying Facebook and Orkut (which I never use) style to give a button next to the imported names and then uncheck those thousands of names is not something that I nor anyone would agree. I was never asked, at the first place, whether an invite should be sent or not.

So please keep your house in order and abide by international laws of privacy. If India doesn’t have a law to draw you to the courts, it doesn’t mean you should fleece your users.

And regarding your statement “I bet you were paid by a competitor”, all I can say is that you have won your bet. But also let me know who are your competitors so that I can claim at least a fraction of what you may have thought of being paid to me.

No comments: