June 08, 2009

Habib Tanvir : The man who spoke without opening his mouth

I still remember Habib Tanvir inviting me on my request for an interview in Bhopal some four years back and then not speaking a word for almost an hour. From today, I am saddened that he will never speak at all. The highly talented playwright and theatre director Habib Tanvir died at the age of 85 this morning.
And when he spoke, he threw his frustration at the Gujarat riots asking me whether it is possible for any person to kill the other without any reason. “After all what is religion? How can you be swayed by political figures to kill each other. I just cannot understand,” he put his silent mould again for another quarter to half an hour before asking me to sit on a chair. I was sitting on the ground till then in his theatre room as he was thinking of a new play. All his character actors, most of whom were from the nomad tribes, waited breathlessly to hear a word from him at the Naya theatre premises.
Agra Bazar and Charandas Chor were his famour creations but I was not interested in his plays. I was more interested in his comments on the Gujarar scenario as he planned a play on the massacre. I wanted to know the angle of the act and whether the play will indict Narendra Modi, the alleged mastermind behind the riots.
Soon I felt he was almost into a siesta. I asked the actors standing in front of me whether it was true. I asked them without opening my mouth in action languages that neither they could understand nor I could communicate. “No,” came the reply from one of the youngest actors. Tanvir stood up and that when I came to know that he can walk well.
It was 3 hours by then and I could get no bytes for my radio story. I insisted that I need him to speak and only then my mission will be accomplished. He opened his mouth very well and spoke clearly his mind. I have his sound safely kept while some of them went with the story that was broadcast. But now those sounds will be archives forever. My tribute to this silent man.

No comments: