November 12, 2007

Charity without clarity

I always wondered why people ill-treated the so called low caste strata of the society. I could not get answers to hundred of millions of money spent on fireworks that lasts just seconds while a large majority of people in and around starve. I also couldn’t fathom the large invites sent to all sundries even by not so rich people for their children’s wedding. All these money could have been used to fund some one’s education, some one’s starvation and someone’s upliftment. I would have left wandering to find the answers to these silly questions had I not found answers the other day.

In my neighborhood itself, the residents would shout at the sweepers, who belong to the Bhangi community, one of the lowest among the lowest strata. It is interesting to note here that there are upper and lower castes among the lower castes itself. Vankars in Gujarat would not allow a Chamar to enter their house or touch their utensils. Being a person who extensively covered social issues, I had strict instructions to my family members to treat them at par with any human. In fact I would also advise some of my neighbors to give some respect to these people. None of them would allow them enter their house, leave alone touch them. By evening they would come to collect the leftovers. I was against giving these leftovers and so refused to part with them even if I had to force the dogs to finish it. I continue to believe that self respect is something that you cannot buy. It has to come from your actions, deeds and your way of thinking.

So one day I risked myself to ask the guy to stop the begging so that people look at him in a respectful way. He gave me a hard look and then without uttering a word, went down. Called for the lift from the third floor to reach down. He again looked up and disappeared leaving me in disappointment and gasping for answers whether I have asked something impossible or if I have hurt the sentiments of the guy. My friend who was standing nearby said I could even face a jail term for insulting him. “There is a provision that if he complains that you have insulted his caste, there is a non bailable warrant against you the next moment,” he left me speechless.

Not that I never knew these rules but I was left recollecting and noting down what exact conversation took place between us. I was left counting at the number of organizations working for the so called welfare of this strata of the society and none of them could stop this bad practice of collecting left overs. I am told that these left overs are sold to the cattle herders at a premium and very few use this as their supper. The sweeper at my apartment consists of the entire family. By 10 in the morning, the work is finished and they would sit idle till noon in some corner before leaving home. When I changed my old car to a new shining one, I thought of giving some income to the teenaged boy during this time and asked him whether he attends school. He told me his school ended forever when he was in 3rd standard and that is a long 7 to 8 years back. I offered him a sponsorship of fee, books and uniform for the rest of his schooling life if he attends the school. In return, he just need to wash my car every morning. He flatly refused saying he need to earn money instead of attending school. “Yes, I understand. I am giving you this soft work so that you don’t feel I am doing a charity on you,” I told him in my chaste Gujarati. Over and above the school expenditure, I offered to pay him Rs 200 per month. He even refused that and told me plainly that he would prefer cleaning toilets and take up a broom than doing any other work. I wasted a cool hour and a half trying to convince him and take him beyond his family occupation of cleaning toilets but to no avail.

That was two years ago. Early this year, his sister was getting married and they came up with a letter from the chairman of the society asking for financial help to each and every resident of the society. Very few helped and those who helped gave them the traditional Rs 11. My neighbours gave them Rs 5 each. I gave them Rs 101 and wished them luck. Also promised to give some cloths as soon as I get time to dig out my storage. During these times, the complaints that the residents had about them never ended. Our neighbours reprimanded us of why we are so soft towards them. But we had no complaints against them. ‘No, these people deserve worst treatment, my dear,” said one of them. “Otherwise, they will start ruling you.” Silly, we just brushed it off.

The girl returned after marriage. Her husband also worked as a sweeper in some society around us. We asked, to our neighbour’s discomfort, if the marriage went well. My wife reminded her that the old clothes promised are on its way any time. We were cleaning the house and so we next day we had double the normal garbage but only one fourth of the average daily dumping our neighbours usually have. We found that except our garbage, all the garbages were cleaned by this newly wed bride. We thought she had missed us this time. Next day when asked, she flatly refused to take the garbage saying she will not touch it because it was too heavy. Have to pay extra bucks to carry it. My wife was not surprised but I was. She just called me in asking if I need any more live examples of these people behaving with people who show them respect. “It is just an odd case dear,” I refused to endorse her. Days and weeks after that, she just refuses to touch our garbage and this time the excuse is we have not paid her boni – the bonus during Diwali that she thinks is her right to demand for. Should I pay it or risk being a courier guy to the garbage? I will have to take a decision this weekend. In the meanwhile, please continue your fireworks and big parties since you may also have faced a similar situation. But wait. Given a chance, I would always go back and think the same way I thought at the beginning. After all there is always the other side of the story.

No comments: