June 29, 2006

Switching Technology Loyalties


Reliance Infocomm’s suspected switch of royalty from CDMA to GSM may or may not worry Qualcomm, the US based patent holder for CDMA technology, but it has definitely worried me.
I am worried because I switched from GSM to CDMA after the latter was explained to me as a 3G technology and I was assured that data and voice over CDMA is far superior and better than GSM technology. I was told that GSM is a closed end technology and CDMA is an open ended technology where the consumers would benefit. After having brought a Reliance connection, I tried to test this and found that whatever they said was true. I am satisfied with both the voice as well as the data connectivity of Reliance CDMA. Accordingly I invested huge amount of money on gadgets that works with CDMA technology. Now Reliance’s switch of royalty means my investments will go down in drain. Today, I can be mobile anywhere in the country with my CDMA phone as well as my Simputer. But if I switch to GSM, it is not possible. The Cellular Operators Association of India – the association of GSM operators – may disagree. But you just cant beat a user.
“CDMA is a third generation technology. It provides data capability in proven economic conditions, even at the bottom of the pyramid. Therefore, it seems strange to move from a 3G technology to a second generation technology,” Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs said in New Delhi and fully agree to his view. GSM, though is widely used across the world, has been a poor cousin to CDMA as far as data links are concerned. Even GPRS has not been able to help me send my data with the speed that I have been able to connect through a CDMA phone. Not only is the bandwidth poor, the costs are exorbitantly high. That is the reason very few consumers uses GPRS or any other data technology in GSM.
For an average mobile user who uses voice and sms services, it may not matter which technology he uses. But for those who are mobile, it does matter. But then how does a consumer complain and object to this technology shift?
But what is exciting for me is another news item which says Qualcomm announced plans to sell its new third generation mobile phones in India through planned tie-ups with Indian companies and is currently in negotiations with Reliance Infocomm.

B A

No comments: